Four important things to do on arrival.
People who wish to stay in Düsseldorf need to do a couple of things after arriving in Germany such as registering where they live with the local authorities.
Information detailing the documents that you will need can be found here. You will find the links for detailed infomations at the bottom.
1. Registration certificate "Meldebescheinigung"
- every new citizen has to register at the registration office "Einwohnermeldeamt/Bürgeramt" within one week after having moved here at the registration office "Einwohnermeldeamt/Bürgeramt"
- you need your passport and rental agreement
you will receive an Anmeldebestätigung "proof of resistration certificate" which you will need to open a bank account or purchase a phone contract
You can make an appointment to register and save waiting time.
2. Residence permit "Aufenthaltsgenehmigung"
- EU-citizens do not need a residence permit
- People with a passport from Australia, Japan, Canada, New Zealand and the United States do not need a visa for a short stay of up to 90 days
- After this time they can apply for a residence permit "längerfristige Aufenthaltsgenehmigung" even after having entered Germany
- The following grounds are subjects with which you may be granted a residence permit: employment; student; training; humanitarian/political and family
- A residence permit is usually limited
- Unlimited residence permit is possible only if the applicant has had a residence permit for the last five years and can fulfill other requirements such as proof of income, no criminal record, proof of language ability etc.
- To apply for a residence permit you will need a completed application form, passport, two photographs, registration certificate, proof of income, housing documentation, proof of health insurance and possibly your marriage certificate.
This subject is complex. Please see your relevant consulate or embassy for advice
and the German office that deals with the registration for foreign nationals.
3. Work permit "Arbeitsgenehmigung"
- since 1.1.2005 what used to be a separate work permit is now replaced by a notice in the residence permit which describes in detail the type of work permitted (Arbeitsaufenthalt).
- you will need documentation from your employer
4. Bank account "Kontoeröffnung"
- you will need your passport and the registration certificate